The production of paper is a long tradition for the valley of the Meurthe, since the creation of the first paper mills back in XVI century. It is in this convenient environment that Papeteries de Clairefontaine started their production in 1858, in the town of Etival Clairefontaine, situated next to Meurthe river 90 km from Strasbourg. Taking advantage of rags supplied by the local textile industry, Clairefontaine is going to become in a few years one of the most important factories of the region. To complete its offer, the company will start the manufacturing ofenvelopes in 1880 then to follow those of notebooks.
In 1950, Charles Nusse, takes in hand the fate Papeteries. He will create the Clairefontaine famous logo, will revolutionate the use of notebooks and will support the company committment in a permanent quest for the quality improvement.
Today three activities: paper, envelopes and notebooks are always present in site. The factory has two paper machines 3,40m wide. For one of them the production speed achieves 1000m per minute what represents 60km and 15 tons of paper produced per hour.